onsdag 18 mars 2009

Hand held condensers continued

I'll keep ranting on about hand held condensers a little bit more.

I'm a musician myself and back in the days bought one of the "standard" dynamic mics that everyone else uses. It wasn't until I started working closely with Milab that I realised there was a whole world of microphones to choose from and much better models than the "standard" choice. I find it a bit strange that most musicians spend a fortune on their instruments except for singers, who in many cases just buy a 100$ mic without even testing the competitors. Even a world class mic like the LSR-3000 is still much cheaper than a decent guitar.

I've used the LSR-1000 for a while now and couldn't go back to dynamic again. On one of the first gigs a did with it, I played outdoors on a summer wedding and performed a duet with a female vocalist (we both had LSR-1000:s). After the ceremony a man came up from the audience and told me that it was the best vocal sound he had ever heard and wondered what mics we were using. In 20 years of live performances, that had never happened to me before.

Someone wrote in a musicians forum that condensers are for big artists on big stages with good engineers. I would say the opposite - a condenser often needs less eq and cuts through the mix much better than a dynamic. It makes a real audible difference, even (or especially) if you are performing on a sub-par PA system. That's why, wherever I'm performing, I always bring my own mic.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar